Juhan's goals for the 100 day challenge

Discussion in '100 DC Quick Start Guide' started by Juhan, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Juhan

Juhan New Member

After 2.5 months of following the SHBG and E reduction protocols (more or less regularly), here are the results.

Code:
    Measurement          Result                    Ref. range     Change                            Since last test   Since start of challenge
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    FSH                  2.6 IU/l                  1.4 - 18.1     3.1 -> 2.6                        (down 16%)        (up 18%)
    LH                   4.5 IU/l                  1.5 - 9.3      5.44 -> 4.5                       (down 17%)        (same)
    Estradiol            158.7 pmol/l (43 pg/ml)   < 146          140 -> 158.7 (38 -> 43 pg/ml)     (up 13%)          (down 17%)
    Testosterone         28.2 nmol/l (813 ng/dl)   8.4 - 28.7     43.2 -> 28.2 (1245 -> 813 ng/dl)  (down 35%)        (up 1%)
    SHBG                 162 nmol/l                17 - 66        145.7 -> 162                      (up 11%)          (up 93%)
    Cortisol             384 nmol/l                138 - 690      403 -> 384                        (down 5%)         (down 3%)
    Free androgen index  17.42                     15 - 95        29.68 -> 17.42                    (down 41%)        (down 48%)
    GH                   0.48 mIU/l                <9.00      
    TSH                  <0.01 mIU/l               0.4 - 4.0
    FT3                  7.3 pmol/l                3.5 - 6.5
    FT4                  19 pmol/l                 11.5 - 22.7
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Height               183 cm (6 ft)
    Weight               73.9 kg (163 lbs)
    Body fat             ~14 %
    Waist                81 cm (32 in)

Needless to say, I'm very disappointed.
    • the reduction of T I'm not concerned about since the last month I've been training less, about 1-2 gym days a week, not 3 (but I walk 30-60 minutes per day when it's not a gym day); I could probably get the T up again after I start training properly again (which is already happening); same with FSH and LH;
    • E up 13%, even when body fat did not change and following the estrogen flush protocol (lots of beets, lots of dark berries)
    • SHBG up 11%, even when following the SHBG reduction protocol; it's now almost twice as high compared to when I started and it was heavily over reference range even then
    • GH - seems quite low but I'm sure what to make of that number
    • TSH - basically non-existent, which with FT3 and FT4 levels point to over-active thyroid

Since we have many informed people here, can somebody shed some light to why the numbers are so messed up even when I'm not doing anything weird here in terms of lifestyle, diet and training?

Supplement usage per day during the last 2.5 months:
    • Zinc - 15 mg
    • Fish oil - EPA+DHA 825 mg, Vit D3 450%, Vit A 47%, Vit E 125%
    • Ginko - 100 mg, Vit D3 200%
    • Boron - 6-7 mg
    • Rhodiola Rosea - ~500 mg, 3-4 days on, 3-4 off

Diet during the period (SHBG reduction protocol):
    • minimized MUFAs (especially olive oil, nuts)
    • very little amount of cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower
    • stopped creatine usage
    • cooking mostly with butter
    • more beef

Mornings:
    • 2 cups of coffee with honey (1 tsp per cup) and coffe cream (~70 ml of 10% milk per cup)

Lunch
    • 4-egg omelet with salt and spinach/leek/green onion
    • ~10-15 grams of butter for cooking
    • 5-6 cherry tomatoes
    • 5-6 radishes
    • berry-yoghurt smoothie
      • ~30 grams of frozen blueberry
      • ~30 grams of frozen blackcurrant
      • ~20 grams of frozen sea buckthorn
      • 1 banana
      • 2 tablespoons of raw cocoa powder
      • a bit of cinnamon (Ceylon of course)
      • some parsley
      • 1 tablespoon of maca powder (on gym days, 1-3 days a week)
      • unflavoured 5% yoghurt (~220 g)
    • sometimes a cup of coffee (with same parameters as in the morning), sometimes not

Dinner
    • potatoes or buckwheat
    • 150-200 g of meat (mostly beef, less pork and chicken)
    • 1 small beet
    • butter for cooking
    • some plants (pickle, lettuce, green olives, radishes and/or marinated garlic)

Fruits are mostly:
    • banana
    • apple
    • pear

Things I have avoided for the last 4 months:
    • gluten (only eat 1-3 times per week something that has gluten in it)
    • food with added sugar in it
    • alcohol - maybe a few drinks once a month

My average macro ratios are something like this:
    • 39% carbs
    • 45% fat
    • 16% protein

Thanks for reading and if you have any input, it would be much appreciated!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  2. Palpatine

Palpatine Active Member

Well, diet mostly looks good, but i definitely think you should up the protein a bit. 1 gram per pound to try and lower SHBG.

3. Mika Nanikashvili

Mika Nanikashvili Well-Known Member Staff Member

What's your fiber intake?

And protein?

Your thyroids are very high, that's why your SHBG is so
    High.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. ozil22

ozil22 Active Member

I agree with what Mika said.
    You T3 is out of the reference range and your TSH is almost undetectable.
    That would definitely point to over-active thyroid or even hyperthyroidism.
    How much selenium do you get?

5. Juhan

Juhan New Member

I'm not aware of any high selenium sources (stopped eating Brazil nuts 2.5 months ago). I probably get some from beef (~200 grams 3-4 times per week) and eggs (4 large per day).

6. ozil22

ozil22 Active Member

Do you feel a lump in your throat other than the Adam's apple?
    Do you have a family history of hyperthyroidism?

7. Juhan

Juhan New Member

Not sure about the amount in grams but I usually eat 1-3 fruit per day (1 banana + 1-2 apples or pears). Then there's the berries + some veggies. No pasta, muesli, cereals, rice.
    About 100 - 120 grams per day.

8. Juhan

Juhan New Member

Nope, no lump and I'm not aware of any hyperthyroidism history.

9. Mika Nanikashvili

Mika Nanikashvili Well-Known Member Staff Member

I would start tracking it. it can defiantly increase your SHBG a lot, A lot.

First I would tale care of thyroid and fix it, It would give much faster and bigger results.

10. Juhan

Juhan New Member

Thanks for your input Mika! Where would I start fixing thyroid issues - is this a go-see-a-doctor case?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  11. D.Trump

D.Trump Active Member

I don't know shit,but some of your stuff is so out of whack,I think you start with the doctor and go from there.And when pharma is suggested,tell him/her to slow the fuck down and insist on getting to the cause.

12. Juhan

Juhan New Member

Yes, that is for sure!

13. Juhan

Juhan New Member

1.5 months later, here are the latest results.

Code:
    Measurement          Result                    Ref. range              Change since last test
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Testosterone         26 nmol/l (749 ng/dl)     8.4 - 28.7              28.2 -> 26 (813 -> 749 ng/dl)   (down 8%)
    Estradiol            97.6 pmol/l (27 pg/ml)    < 146                   158.7 -> 97.6 (43 -> 27 pg/ml)  (down 37%)
    SHBG                 136 nmol/l                17 - 66                 162 -> 136                      (down 16%)
    Free androgen index  19.11                     15 - 95                 17.42 -> 19.11                  (up 10%)
    TSH                  0.02 mIU/l                0.4 - 4.0               <0.01 -> 0.02                   (up >100%)
    FT3                  4.72 pmol/l               3.5 - 6.5               7.3 -> 4.72                     (down 35%)
    FT4                  16.53 pmol/l              11.5 - 22.7             19 -> 16.53                     (down 13%)
    TPO-Ab               >1300 kU/l                < 60
    Magnesium            0.75 mmol/l               0.53 - 1.11
    Height  183 cm (6 ft)
    Weight  ~70.5 kg (155 lbs)
    Body fat  ~12-13 %
    Waist  79 cm (31 in)
    I'm very happy with the results. Many positive changes.
    • Testosterone - stays nicely and stably high-ish considering I have not been able to properly train during the last 4 weeks (strained my neck, again...) and have been in a slight caloric deficit
    • Estradiol - down 37%, yesss!!!!!!! very close to ideal of 90 pmol/l (25 pg/ml); don't know however if caused by lower body fat or thyroid improvements (probably both)
    • SHBG - down 16% which is great too; it seems that thyroid improvements have something to do with this change
    • TSH - has come up from an unmeasurable amount to a measurable amount, which is amazing and clearly shows I'm moving in the right direction
    • FT3 and FT4 - very nicely in the middle of reference range, great stuff
    • TPO-Ab - I'll have to do some reading to understand the meaning of this value
    • Magnesium - could be higher, but seems to be ok

So here are the changes I made during the last 1.5 months.
    • Dropped gluten entirely. I suspect gluten caused leaky gut syndrome for me, since the symptoms match (digestion issues and thyroid issues in particular). And since leaky gut syndrome messes up thyroid function and causes other issues, it could very well have caused thyroid over-activity for me.
    • Body fat from ~14 to somewhere between 12 and 13.
    • Copper supplementation. I read that over-active thyroid could be caused by copper deficiency and too much zinc, so I dropped zinc usage and started taking a 200% dose of copper. I don't know if it had an effect on thyroid function or not but one thing it definitely did was caused me to have to go to bathroom every night 3-4 times, which was awful. I had a gut feeling that taking copper is not necessary and after dropping it and replacing it with zinc a week ago, the need to visit the bathroom 3-4 times every night disappeared immediately and I feel better. Will not continue with it. I don't know but I suspect that copper deficiency was not a problem for me in the first place.
    • Reintroduced MUFAs back to my diet (especially olive oil) and anything else that I had been avoiding during the SHBG lowering protocol, except creatine which I'm still not taking. Meat is mostly beef. Trying to consume more protein but holy shit it's difficult! I have to eat huge amounts of meat to get to 140-150 grams per day (~25% of calories).

Supplement usage during the last 1.5 months:
    • Fish oil - EPA+DHA 550 mg, Vit D3 300%, Vit A 31%, Vit E 83%
    • Mucuna - 3-4 times per week one teaspoon in a smoothie
    • Gynostemma - 3-4 times per week 1 tablespoon in a smoothie
    • Rhodiola Rosea - ~500 mg, 3-4 days on, 3-4 off
    • Magnesium - flake foot baths every evening at first and later 288 mg orally + 105 mg as oil
    • Copper - 2 mg (200%, until one week before the test)
    • Zinc - 30 mg (started a week before the test)

My average macro ratios are:
    • 44% carbs
    • 39% fat
    • 18% protein
    When it comes to exercise then like I mentioned, I haven't been able to properly train for the last 4 weeks because of neck muscle strain. I've been walking a lot instead. I walk about 6-8 km in the woods on most days. Very relaxing.

All in all, I have recently been feeling quite good. Motivation is high, energy is high. My gut (literally and figuratively) says that dropping gluten has been a fantastic change and probably a change that contributed the most to these results.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  14. Mark Hurley

Mark Hurley Active Member

Interesting results. I also recently checked my hormone levels, including DHT and my free testosterone came back at 166 ng/dl (40-250 ng/dl) with a total T of 1122 ng/dl. I should've checked my SHBH though...I'm assuming it's on the higher side since my free T was only average. My estradiol was also high at 43 pg/ml. I remember one time where I consumed copious amounts of olive oil dipped in bread w/ herbs, and constantly having nocturnal erections during the night. Olive oil has been shown to be anti-estrogenic in studies, which should help drive down SHBG and free up testosterone. I've been avoiding it for the same reason you did in terms of increasing SHBG.

15. I've been avoiding olive oil because its usually mixed with cheaper cooking oils ( canola, soy etc.)

16. Mark Hurley

Yeah I heard about that. The best olive oils are typically imported from Italy and certified organic. A lot of times you get what you pay for, but not always. In the case of oils, it seems to hold true in most instances.

17. Mark Hurley

Try adding a high quality Fish Oil (tested for contaminants: PCB's DDT, exc), which has been proven in studies to be anti-estrogenic. Higher estrogen increases SHBG in the liver even if the liver is functioning correctly. Also, try magnesium glycinate, which is a very bioavailable form of magnesium since glycine aids the diffusion of magnesium ions from the intestinal tract. Magnesium has also been proven in studies to lower SHBG. Further, don't consume too much meat. Logically, meat is very hard to digest, and hence the liver has to work harder to process the proteins, fats, exc. Therefore, detoxification will be hindered since detoxification is most efficient in a fasting state. Thus, prolonged digestion will decrease estrogen metabolism via this mechanism. Liver health is directly correlated with SHBG production. Poor liver function and/or an overworked liver will drive up SHBG production whereas optimal liver function/detox will lower SHBG production. So, I'd recommend taking L choline, which has proven useful in combating fatty liver disease and acts as a methyl donor, which increases the metabolism of estrogen via a process called methylation. I hope this helped

18. Juhan

Juhan New Member

Hey Mark, thanks for the input!

I think my fish oil currently is of quite high quality (using this brand). They claim that their own contaminant tests are stricter than any of the regulatory requirements.

I've been thinking of changing some of my meat with other sources of protein but not sure yet which source. Protein powder perhaps? And I've also been wanting to try choline but first I'll have to find where I can buy that thing.

Thanks!

19. Mark Hurley

The best quality Choline that I know of is from Bulk Supplements found here...https://www.amazon.com/Bulksupplements-Choline-L-Bitartrate-Powder-grams/dp/B00I080C48/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1471640982&sr=8-2&keywords=l+choline+powder
    You can buy 2.2 lbs(1kg) for $26. I typically consume 2 grams/day...so 2.2 lbs* 454g/lb/2g = 499.4 or roughly 500 servings. That will last you a year and 4.5 months.
    Or you could consume grass fed beef/chicken livers, pastured eggs, which are very good natural sources of choline. Also, the more saturated fat you consume, the more choline the body requires.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016