1. Get 20% Off Any Course at The Anabolic Academy with the Coupon Code "FORUM" - Click Here.

Low Body Temperature and Fasting

Discussion in 'Nutrition' started by Andrew Colucci, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Andrew Colucci

Andrew Colucci Active Member

I was just listening to a Paleo/Primal podcast at work due to boredom and they were discussing the thyroid. A guy who was on the show had hypothyroidism and managed to cure it by going Paleo. He addressed our arguments that the thyroid runs of glucose and challenged it by saying that he doesn't believe it simply by referring to evolution. Essentially he said that our primal ancestors didnt eat high carb and were able to pro-create, etc. I've been having issues with my temperature lately so I've been following more of Ray peat's approach and it hasn't really been doing anything. My sleep is actually worse now. I was successful in the summer but having difficulty the past month gettin my temp up. Makes me question whether or not his approach is truly accurate. By the way I'm not saying that I plan on going Paleo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. davebassfishing

davebassfishing Well-Known Member

I know your a giants fan and it's winter time...tough loss in green Bay and the winter blues....in all seriousness it could be the stress affecting you as well...I have nothing to comment on about the paleo guy I keep an open mind to everything...but mental stress is really important and a real thing that can affect multiple facets of health...of course it's linked to thyroid health as well...in the summer perhaps you were getting more sun and enjoying life more...winter time maybe your vitamin d levels are down and/or you are just more stressed/depressed because of more boredom....

I really think mental health needs to be evaluated...I am guilty of this myself...I'm probably worse than you...I spend all day reading and over analyzing every last drop of information...I have to practice what I preach and just let go of everything...keep diet in check but keep my mind in more check and just relax and don't over obsess about anything...take a deep breathe and just enjoy life...do things you enjoy while still implementing proven strategies...the key is balance...balancing the things you do need to do diet and lifestyle wise but don't let it get in the way of you living your life...I think we should all read the book "why zebras don't get ulcers"

Andrew Colucci likes this.
  3. Andrew Colucci

Agreed. Thanks. I just don't feel like shoving food down my throat when I'm not hungry (in the morning) and having all this sugar in my diet just to improve thyroid health. I don't understand how it could be healthy.

4. davebassfishing

I agree...anything that is out of your norm is not healthy mentally...it ends up draining you mentally...just live free and easy and still implement some key things that are important which I believe are just micronutrient deficiencies...like I said mental health goes a long way...it's not a coincidence to me that you felt better in the summer....you were down here in the Florida sun by the beaches enjoying life living more stress free...

5. Andrew Colucci

True but not only healthy mentally, physically as well. I understand the issues with PUFAs but sugars at ridiculously high amounts have shown to be pretty bad (the amounts Berzins recommends). Not sure if Haidut has a thread on the peat forum discussing his diet but if anyone knows of It, I'd love to see it and read into it.

6. davebassfishing

I don't know what to believe anymore man...there are so many studies and a lot contradict eachother...you can argue that choline is protective...you can argue that it's not...you can argue that sugars are bad only with high pufa or you can argue that sugar is bad even without pufa...

All you're going to get is more stressed in the process which is the one thing that we KNOW is not good...so the best bet is just to listen to your body and not some guru...and don't stress about it...

Some people have great metabolism and warm body temperature and their diet is subpar...reason for this I believe is they have extremely low stress levels...they can handle stress better and they aren't thinking about stressful things....my father is an example...he has warmer body temperature than me and he doesn't stress about shit...his mind is never racing like mine is about diet etc...he just does what he likes to do and that's it...his diet is nowhere as good as mine...I don't know how good his thyroid health really is but I wouldn't be surprised if it was better..

I do know other people though that are lean and eat a lot and don't have the best diet...I guess you can say genetics or whatever but one things for sure...they don't stress about shit...they don't even care about their diet or body composition...it never enters their mind...

I think we'd all be much better off if we just ate whole foods that we enjoyed...didn't count calories just listened to our bodies and ate what we wanted when we wanted as long as it's not good that makes you just want to eat more...control our diet with satiating whole foods that are nutritious and just do things we enjoy...live for the present not the future...having fun and relaxing and just living can go a long way in the entire health spectrum of things...obviously endocrine health especially...

Basically stay to the core principals that this site offers...avoid certain foods (pufas Trans fats, gluten if you have reaction to it) and let the rest go on autopilot...enjoy things...go to the movies...gor snowmobiling...ice skating...jetskiing...fishing...focus your energy on good things that you enjoy and fuck diet and all this shit...just live for the moment...your hormones will change for the better...I guarantee you that

David90 and Andrew Colucci like this.
  7. Andrew Colucci

I think this is spot on bro

davebassfishing likes this.
  8. davebassfishing

It's easier said than done...I'm probably the most guilty of this on this forum...I'm always trying to read and learn more...I have to start just enjoying life...I'm going to start just living in the moment and not trying to worry about what's the best workout frequency what's the best rep range to use...train to failure not to failure...I'm just going to enjoy the whole process...easier said than done but in reality it's really not that hard to do...fire up my ps4 again...get back on my boat...go for walks...occupy my time with living instead of thinking...

9. james macdonald

james macdonald Active Member

Well said Dave. @Andrew Colucci you are over researching. There is a lot more research that supports a pro carb/sugar diet for hormonal/thyroid health than paleo. Don't touch paleo. (I know you said you won't) but that diet promotes about 1 boner a week, along with about 1 shit a week. Half the promoters of that diet are on steroids and do crossfit or just uninterested in sex.

Dave's 100% right that the happiest & healthiest people don't over research regarding health & nutrition. Its no way to live. Listen to your body and eat what it tells you to eat. I am a big fan of Matt Stone and Doctor Garret's smith book "solving the paleo equation." It talks about ways of curing restrictive eating & damaged metabolisms. Without knowing you well, I know that you probably under eat and have over trained. Im personally taking a month off the gym altogether until im not operating on stress hormones what so ever. Clean slate so to speak. It may be excessive but i truly feel like my body will feel like i was 18 again if i do it. I've also made an effort to stop over researching ray peat, thyroid & taking my temps & pulse every 2 hours. (Yes im that OCD.) For some of us, it is a very fine line to become invested in our own health. Aid on the side of caution and remember the 4S's...(Saturated fat, salt, starch & sugar.) It is hard to debate any of their effects on pro testosterone and thyroid.

10. Andrew Colucci

Thanks for this. I've been over eating slightly the past month so we'll see what happens. I'm going to eat when I'm hungry too and stop force feeding myself early in the morning because it's really not doing much for me. I tried the whole 3-5 tsp of sugar in my coffee and it's really not doing it for me either. I'm just going to eat when I'm hungry and not force feed but if I find myself not eating/fasting for 16 hours than that will be the cut off point no matter what. I sometimes literally have zero appetite until 2 pm with my last feeding ending at 10pm the previous night.

11. james macdonald

Some people aren't hungry in the morning...I am definitely not one of those people. Definitely no point of eating little snacks if your not hungry. I think that approach you outlined above sounds very smart, it's about finding the right balance between listening to your body and common sense. Smart to have a relative cut off point to fasting, but I wouldn't make it too rigid. Just try and eat somewhat balanced meals with enough of each macronutrient.

12. Andrew Colucci

I'm literally eating whatever I want (smart food choices, pro T, pro thyroid) and tracking them just to make sure I am eating enough to ensure I hit a surplus. Not subscribe to any specific macro breakdown though.

David90 likes this.
  13. Andrew Colucci

I guess I just misinterpreted the approach. Obviously prolonged daily fasting is not beneficial for someone with thyroid issues but I was under the impression one should avoid any sort of daily fast at all costs. During the summer I kept the fasts to 14-16 hours and I managed to get my temp up so I guess it's all individual just like everything else. Paralysis by analysis once again. I seem to be addicted to over thinking.

14. james macdonald

I am too, brother. But no two bodies are the same. If you feel good, that is a great start. Eating enough is damn important too, especially when metabolism is a bit down. In fact, that's mostly how it gets down.

15. Andrew Colucci

Exactly. I think that the frequency at which you eat is not nearly as important as how much you eat.

16. Jarda Horák

Jarda Horák Member

Hello guys, I am here after long time and I found your comments so my experience. I am on peat diet 3 months, I have better libido and erections, lost same weight, my muscles are bigger because of more glycogen storage, my liver and digestive system are improved alot, better sleeping, more energy and clearer head, better hair. Its big motivation for me so I will stick to this diet to the end of my life. My supps are aspirin, taurine, all fat solubles vitamins, activated charcoal, coffee, vit b2, coconut oil and baking soda, eggs shell calcium. My diet: milk, liver, meat, apples, potatoes, rice , bread sometimes, cheese, gelatin. Milk with sugar, peeled apples, meat at same time with gelatin. I dont want waste my time with searching about heatlh and this stuff but self image is important for me so I want be healthy. True is that I have alot of time now so I am on the ray peat forum all day 2 months now just searching for advices. I like when I found some great stuff. Its full of great ideas and things. For better and faster results, I found members with same problems and goals and just study them, their diet and supps. I never tracked my temperature, its easy for me, when I wake up I feel heat or cold. If you have some problems, write thread and they will help you, really, I found alot of members from here on ray peat forum. About listening to your body, I didnt have apetite or something like this so how I can listen to my body? I am not smart person and I did big jump to better health, most of advices are just trial and error, its only way how you can change something, I hurt myself sometimes but its worth in the long run. I am writting this because health is important factor to happiness, try it with ray peat forum please. Some members wrote that they saw some improvements after using things like pregnenolone or dhea, when your metabolism is damaged alot, its your only way. I wish you good luck and stay strong.

17. Andrew Colucci

What does your meal schedule look like? How soon after waking up do you eat? Just curious. Congrats on your results man.

18. David90

David90 Active Member

WORD. I can't honestly believe too, that his Sugar Intake is that Healthy in the Long Term. Of Course it is Pro-Thyroid & Anti-Stress but at what Price?!. I would not overdo it. I would not risk getting a Fatty Liver for the Quest of getting Lower SHBG. So until @Berzinator doesn't say the exact Fructose Amount per Day that one should eat, than i would honestly stay UNDER 40g of Fructose per Day (like @Mika Nanikashvili said in his SHBG Post on his Website) to safely lower SHBG.

WORD. We Should not overcomplicate Things. At the Core of it, we should keep it as Simple and Enjoyable as Possible. I Personally do not track my Body Temperature either, because i find it to complicated. I just go by how i feel.

Yeah, you are right. The Core Things i personally have learned from Ray Peat / Berzins / This Thread in General:

• Always eat Fructose with a Meal, to lower the Insulin Response.
    • Limit PUFA
    • Getting Enough Choline per Day for Liver Health and Prevention of Fatty Liver (Supplement / Eating Liver / or Daily Eggs)
    • Coconut Oil is a MUST for Thyroid and Useful Main Source of Saturated Fat.
    • Gelatin (-Powder) is your best Friend. 40g-100g of Gelatin Poweder per Day is ok (Depends on the GI / Digestive Tract of the Person).
    • Eating Liver 2x per Week is Good for Vitamin A
    • Supplementation with Vitamin E (Mixed Tocopherols) is Quite useful for Liver Health, More Antioxidants and Lower Estrogen.
    • Sugar / Fructose is not that Bad (but like i said above, i would not overdo it)
    • The 4's (Sugar, Starch, Salt, Saturated Fat)

Also did you Guys notice that some of the Youtuber's (like Student Aesthetics) are drinking Energy Drinks for the B-Vitamins?!. I noticed this too in my Grocery Store. I was once in the Drinks Department and was taking a closer look at the Energy Drinks (i think it was a Sugar Free Version of the ''Monster'' Can). It has a shitload of B-Vitamins in it (you would get 300-500% of every B-Vitamin and a good Amount of Taurin and Coffein, it depends on Can Size). What are you honest thoughts about this?!.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  19. Andrew Colucci

I don't drink those often due to the artificial sweeteners but once in a while I will

20. Qwerty

Qwerty Active Member

The only thing which makes my temperature change is cutting or bulking. I'm not measuring it, I just feel colder when cutting and warmer when bulking. So my guess is that it's the biggest element in body temperature. The other things are minor. Then again, I might be wrong, just my personal experience.